Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    geowei
    Participant

I have VMware player and Kali.vmwarevm installed on an M1 MacBook Pro/Ventura. When I launch Kali to make a vm, I get the blue screen saying its booting, and then a black screen but no login screen like in your video. VMware Player says linux is running. I’ve deleted and reinstalled bothnprograms and rebooted the Mac but nothing helped. Any thoughts?

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Are you using the VMware version shared in the resources of the lecture?

Greetings!
    Diego

geowei
    Participant

Yes, sort of.
    When I click the one for M1 computers it takes me to a window with VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-18656771_arm64.dmg at the top and a bunch of stuff but a download button is highlighted.
    When I click the download button I get the “double click to install” window, but when I click that I get one window that says my license key has expired and cancel/buy options, and another window that says Fusion12 at the top and various options:
    • I have a license key for VMware Fusion Preview and the key is filled in;
    • Buy a license key;
    • Get a free license key
    So I click the get a free key option, it takes me to the VMware site, I do all the stuff shown in the video, click download at the end, and get a file VMware-Fusion-13.0.0-20802013_universal.dmg.
    I click this to install VMware, which succeeds, but then doesn’t get me a login screen when I click and boot the Kali file.
    So technically I am starting by clicking the file you provide, but in the end I’m using a file I download from VMware.
    I used VMware years ago and I wonder if that’s where the expired key comes from. But I don’t see any VMware app only computer and thought I had cleared it out.
    I’ve gone through this several times, and created new accounts, but always the same result.

geowei
    Participant

Update:
    I switched to another newer M1 Mac that had never seen VMware before and went through the Kali/VM procedure,

It turns out the link you provide in the lecture resources is for VMware Fusion Tech Preview and that’s what has the expired license key. So this is not due to my previous history. It is for VMware Fusion 12 and the current version on the VMware site is 13.

I used the dmg file from your site to get to VMware site as above but did not continue to use it after that and ejected it. I used the dmg file I downloaded from VMware as above after your link took me there when I got a free license. It is not the tech preview and it is v13.

On the “Select the Installation Method” window you get at the end, there are not the many options shown in your video. There is only the Install from disk or image option at the top or Create a custom virtual machine at lower left. Nothing else.

However, as in your video, I cancel and then quit VMware Fusion and restart it. Then I launch Kali and the same thing happens: it boots but just gives a black screen with no login window. So, same results on a different M1 computer.

Note also that both the VM Fusion Tech Preview and VM Fusion are installed on the computer.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by geowei.
    Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Yeah, it seems there’s a problem with such VMware version, we are working for a solution, in the meantime you can install official kali release. The M1/M2 chips have very limited support yet so some tools can’t be installed on them. If you have an intel-based machine it will be better for hacking stuff.

Greetings!
    Diego

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.