Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    glosnick
    Participant

I think I might have broken mutillidae but I’m not sure how. Yesterday when I was following the lectures I was able to set the security to 1 and bypass the admin login using the technique described by Zaid. In the following lecture I raised the security to 5 and attemtped to login using what I thought were valid credential i.e. Zaid and aaaaa. However, the filtering stopped me even when I changed the security back to 1 it still wouldn’t allow me past the filtering. What do you think I have done to break mutillidae and should I just download it again?

Regards as ever

Nick

glosnick
    Participant

I’m confused and somewhat vexed. I downloaded metasploitable again and set it up as described by Zaid. However, again when I changed mutillidae to security level 1, the filtering still stopped me from using what I thought were valid credentials i.e nick and 123456. I’ve no idea what I’ve done wrong and I am now frustrated. I do hope you are able to figure out my mistake.

Regards

Nick

glosnick
    Participant

Hi, I was just wondering why I hadn’t heard from you in response to my question. I was under the impression that Zaid had said that a response would be forthcoming within 15 hours and I’ve heard nothing.

Anyway, I hope you respond soon as I’m in a little pickle. I can’t seem to log into mutillidae at all beyond the security of level 1 each I try I get the filter error message even when I’m using valid credentials and I’ve no idea why. I tried deleting the history of Firefox with no success. I tried rolling back to a previous snapshot and again no joy. I tried downloading and recreating metasploitable with no joy. Then I thought I’d download your version of Kali again but found that you have changed the format and set up of the download page. I tried installing the iso file in Virtualbox but couldn’t achieve it. I got as far as the following screen shot but was then defeated. Could you please help me!!!

Regards

Nick

Screenshot of Kali installation screen:

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    It hasn’t passed the 15 hours since your last reply, so if you add more to the replay the timer will be reset.

Also the latest custom kali will only work in VMware, so I’ll suggest to use it, then install metasploitable on it as well and try it again, if it still doesn’t work then share some screenshots with the metasploitable error.

Greetings!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know. May I ask why you no longer support Virtualbox?

Regards

Nick

glosnick
    Participant

I just downloaded and installed VMWare and created the virtual machines for Kali and Metasploitable again and that seems to have done the trick. I can now log into metasploitable again. However, I had a quick question about VMWare. When I looked both machines seem to be on NAT and not a NAT-network as previously in Virtualbox. Does this make a difference? And how can I set it up for a NAT-network as Zaid has done so before? I think I have to buy a pro licence to get that and things like snapshots? Is that correct?

Regards

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!

Each software is different, with VMware NAT is the same as NAT Network in VirtualBox. I don’t use windows and in the mac version is possible to take snapshots in the free version, are you sure it is not possible? Can you explain a bit? I mean like if there’s no button to do it or if it’s grayed out, etc.

Zaid changed to change to VMware because it is running smoother than VirtualBox and many windows users were having issues with it, so after some tests he decided to change.

Greetings!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

Sorry I haven’t responded to your previous message in a while, I thought I had but maybe I just hadn’t sent it. It looks as though I took a snapshot for you but neglected to write a message to you. How strange! Anyway, in the snapshot you will see an option to upgrade to VMWare Workstation Pro and listed in the options you get with the upgrade is snapshots and so on. It’s somewhat vexing but such is life.

Thanks for you help and regards

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

HI!
    Ok, there’s no snapshot but I get the point. Yeah, it might be only in the Pro version. The only option I see is to make a copy of the .vmvmware folder but, depending on the software you have installed on kali, it might be like 15GB or so. In any case you can store it in an external device.

Greetings!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me and oops, forgot to include the link to the snapshot, me bad!!! Anyway, great minds think alike it appears. Had already backed up the VMWare folder.

Regards

Nick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.