Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    glosnick
    Participant

I think I am doing everything correctly and as far as I’m aware netcat makes the connection but then immediately drops out for some reason with nothing sent and received as in the following screenshot:

snapshot of netcat dropping out

I’m not sure if that is the best way to put in images or not either, sigh?

The commands I used are as follows, initially when I attemted to log in with the ssh random@(ip address) I got a yes/no/fingerprint option. Would that make a different to whether I could subsequently establish the shell with netcat:

The command I used for to attempt to run on the server before I encoded it in Burpsuite is:

And the final command I used was:

Hopefully you should be able to see all the screenshots I took and be able to spot what I’m doing wrong?

Regards

Nick

glosnick
    Participant

I’m not sure if the snapshots have uploaded correctly. I don’t think they have. Could you let me know if you can’t see them and what I’ve done wrong please.

Thanks and regards

Nick

glosnick
    Participant

It appears the images are sort of working if you right click on them and open them in a new tab. However, whilst the URL for my screenshots are all different they have the same descriptions because I just cut and pasted the link and only changed the image name but not each description. Please bare with me as I come to grips on your system for uploading pictures.

Regards

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Yes, I can see the screenshots fine.
    Can you show the results of:
    ifconfig and route -n in kali and metasploitable
    Can you share a screenshot of the Network settings used in VirtualBox for both machines?

Also have you run the nc command directly in metasploitable terminal? Is it working fine?

Thanks!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

First, thanks for getting back to me. Second I think I’ve got all the screenshots you want!

Ifconfig of Kali machine:

Kali ifconfig

ifconfig of Metasploitable machine:

Metasploitable ifconfig

route -n of Kali machine:

Kali route-n

route -n of Metasploitable machine:

Metasploitable route-n

Network settings of Kali VM:

Network settings of Kali

Network settings of Metasploitable machine:

Metasploitable network settings

I think that is them all and I hope they work. Phew!!!! There must be easier ways to add images to a question in this forum!

I tried the nc command directly on the metaspoitable machine and got exactly the same response which is interesting. What is also interesting is that in the lecture about code execution vulnerabilities I was able to execute the nc command on the metaspoitable machine perfectly and it established the shell. So what do you think all this means?

Thanks for your help and regards.

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    In the nc command entered in metasplitable can you add a / before bin? So it has to look like /bin/sh, then try it again.

Greetings!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

Dammit!!!!! Such a small mistake and everything fails. I added the / slash and it worked fine. Well spotted and thank you.

Regards

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

You’re welcome!
    Greetings!
    Diego

glosnick
    Participant

I followed Zaid’s Ethical Hacking course on Udemy and I’m glad to have your support again on this course.

Thanks and regards

Nick

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

You’re welcome mate!

Greetings!
    Diego

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.