Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kwekjiawei1998
    Participant

First of all, I have already took the basic ethical hacking course and read it multiple times and still don’t quite get the difference between wire connected and wifi. Like example, in the process changing the wlan0 mac address. After changing the mac address, I tried to “ifconfig wlan0 up”, it shows “operations not possible due to rf kill”. So prior to this “i did the “airmon-ng check kill && rfkill unblock all, then “ifconfig wlan0 up”. It works but it removes the wire connected and wifi symbol, unlike yours(I’m trying to follow as close to what you did in the video, retaining every possible information shown). So I redid the whole process. I turn on my wifi, I’m able to “ifconfig wlan0 up”. I still don’t quite get it. Like example my main machine is using SINGTEL_5G. My eth0 is a virtual ip using the connection from my host machine on nat network which uses Singtel_5G, when i turn on my wifi in kali linux, it also uses the same wifi. My question is how do i know when to use my kali linux wifi and when do i use my wire connected.

kwekjiawei1998
    Participant

Also with just wire connected, after changing the mac address, I’m not able “ifconfig wlan0 up”, but it works when i uses only with wifi, or both wire connected and wifi. So from here, i assume “ifconfig wlan0 up” only works with wifi.

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    When you ran the command airmon-ng check kill this stoped the network-manager hence no interface will be available for internet connection. If you want tp restart it use: service network-manager start.
    Thw wlan0 interface is used to connect kali with a real network, the wired one is used with NAT Network settings to connect with windows virtual machine.

Hope it helps!
    Diego

kwekjiawei1998
    Participant

Then why is it with just “wire connected”, I’m still able to access to the Internet in Kali machine(virtual machine)?

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    This is normal, because you are changing the mac of a virtual interface not a real interface, if you use the program to change the mac of a real interface like wlan0 then it works perfectly.
    So eth0 simmulates an ethernet connection but is just a virtul interface.

Hope it helps!
    Diego

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.