Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rdangel
    Participant

Hello Diego, sorry to have to tap you again so soon after we got the ZLogger issue sorted out, but……
    I’m on Lesson 11.3 and I have downloaded and installed the Bat to Exe Converter and have the shortcut icon on the Desktop, as shown in the lecture – everything looking good, but when I double click it to run it and the main Converter window opens, it displays an error box with this message: “Invalid memory access” and the whole page freezes up solid. I can’t do anything other than power off and restart to get a functioning Kali screen. I have removed the program and re-installed it several times but each time I get the same result: a frozen screen and that error message with a big red X beside it, and NO way to get out of it. Please help… this is frustrating.
    Ross

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Are you sure you are using the latest custom kali image provided by Zaid? It’s important!
    Does Bat to Exe works the first time after installation? I mean that after installing it the application will run, have you tried to create an executable?

Greetings!
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Yes absolutely, it’s the latest Kali custom image (everything else installed up to this point is working perfectly). The application installs exactly as shown on the lesson video, with the exact same prompts and displays and generates a desktop icon… but as soon as I double click the Desktop icon to run it, it opens into the Converter window and INSTANTLY freezes with the “Invalid memory access” error message displayed across the screen and there is no way to get around it or to close the box down, nothing is responding… the only thing I can do at that point is to power the Virtual Kali machine down and restart it. What is going on? Is there a different Bat to Exe converter program I can, or should use instead?

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Where exactly did you download the one you are using?

Greetings!
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Hi Diego. I followed the Lesson 11.3 EXACTLY! Every step exactly is as shown in the video. Downloaded the .zip file to Downloads… Extract Here, in Downloads… then from Terminal navigate to Downloads, run Bat_To_Exe_Converter.exe with the command wine… use the Installation Wizard setup, and create a Desktop shortcut… then run it (double click) from the shortcut… the Converter window opens and looks normal, but INSTANTLY displays the error message and completely freezes, shading the entire display and unresponsive.

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    That’s weird, maybe something wrong with the desktop shortcut. Try running the executable directly with wine. It should be inside /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files(x86). Then it should run as expected.

Greetings!
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Hey Diego, I’m not having any luck with this issue, I have tried re-installing it several times and it always just completely freezes up my Kali window when I run it from the Desktop icon like Zaid shows. It doesn’t look like there’s an obvious solution here from you guys so… I would like to completely uninstall and remove everything about this program, and maybe try a different bat-to-exe tool – there’s several listed on Google. Can you tell me the specific command string and procedure to completely eradicate this from my Custom Kali? I don’t want to do this by just deleting the Custom Kali image and start with a new Kali image because I have many month’s worth of programs and tool installations and files that I have compiled through thick and thin, and I would rather NOT have to do all that all over again from scratch to get back to this point. Otherwise I’m going to have to skip a lot of lessons if I don’t get this thing working, because it looks like Zaid keeps referring back to these example .exe files.

rdangel
    Participant

I just got your previous response with the suggestion to run it directly with wine… I’m sorry, I’m still quite new at this so… how exactly do I do that? What is the command string to run it with wine? And from what terminal directory?

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    I mentioned where you can find the executable in the above comment, I don’t remember the exact path but search around the mentioned path. Once you find it just run:
    wine

Greetings!
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Thanks so much Diego – I will give it a try!

rdangel
    Participant
    Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    You can also try to run the portable executable. Once you downloaded the .zip file from the resources unzip and you’ll find a directory named Portable, cd into that directory, it contains 2 executables. Use wine to run any of the executables. I just tested it and it worked fine.

Greetings!
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Diego… once again you are AWESOME!! Thank you for helping get through another stumbling block. I tried running both those executables… the first one didn’t work – I got the same error, but the (x64).exe one worked fine. Have a beer on me 😉
    Cheers,

Ross

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Glad you got it!
    I’ll drink that beer! haha
    Diego

rdangel
    Participant

Haha…great! BTW… I might as well get rid of that Desktop shortcut at this point – it doesn’t work anyways, especially if I’m just going to use the direct method you taught me above. How do i get rid of it? What’s the command line?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.