Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    joel
    Participant

My antivirus is blocking the connection with a website when running apt-get update on Kali VM due to a Trojan being detected. Is this normal and what is the way to bypass the host machine AV when using Kali on VirtualBox? Also, can my host machine be compromised in any way when using the VM?

s4mu_
    Participant

This shouldnt happen as the vm has no connection to the host machine. It´s like a totally different computer.
    anyways dont listen to me wait for a moderator to answer you as they will surely know more about the matter.
    greetings

joel
    Participant

Thanks s4mu_. Yes, that’s what I thought. Whatever I do on the VM shouldn’t have anything to do with the host. I also tried accessing the url directly from the browser on the VM with the same results. Anyway, there should be an explanation and fix for this. Will wait for the moderator’s response.
    Thanks

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Are you sure you are using the latest custom kali image provided by Zaid? It’s important!

Sometimes defender detects kali’s repositories as malicious, it will also depend on the repositories you have in the sources.list file, if you are using custom kali and haven’t modified such file then it’s safe to disable defender or any AV and try it again.

Greetings!
    Diego

joel
    Participant

Hi Diego

Yes, I’m using the latest image of the custom Kali. I just found out that using a VPN solved the issue without having to disable the AV. The Trojan was detected from a specific local mirror website which was not used when updating using a different ip address.

Cheers
    Joel

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Cool you got it!
    Diego

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.