Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi guys,

I kept the same instance rather than creating a new one as Zaid does in the tutorial so my HTML and SSH ports are set correctly. I then added the new Custom port set to 5901 for the VNC and saved the settings.
    I installed all the packages required as shown in the tutorial and ran the tightvncserver. I created a password and then downloaded Ripple Remote for Windows as I’m using a PC with Kali running on VMWare on the same desktop. I entered all the details correctly into Ripple Remote like my instances IP, the port 5901, and the password, however, it is refusing to connect saying “Connection is failed. Reason: Connection is timed out”.

Can you suggest where I might be making an error?

Regards,
    James

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Can you share a screenshot of the inbound rules in AWS? Also run the command “sudo ss -lntp” in the cloud instance and share the results here?

Greetings!
    Diego

Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

Heres my inbound rules

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

Here is my Intp screen clip.

Regards,
    James

Attachments:
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

I would like to add that Amazon AWS seems to now be charging for Kali as I received a request for £10 from them. Is this normal? I have not paid this, could this be why I’m having issues getting a connection?

Regards,
    James

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    What’s the ip range in the Inbound rules? That’s not included in the screenshot. Also, in the results of ss I can see there’s no VNC server running, so make sure to follow all the instructions as mentioned in the course. And as long as your AWS account is not older than 1 year and you are using the same instance as showed by Zaid in the lectures you shouldn’t be charged, you may have selected a big size instance or more storage or something different.

Greetings!
    Diego

Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

Please find attached the full-screen clip of my Inbound rules to include the IP range.

I will look to activate the VNC before I screenshot the ss results shortly.

Best wishes,
    James

Attachments:
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Here is a screen clip of the new Kali Linx subscription costs. I think this is why I’m getting charged. These charges are not shown in Zeids tutorials which is why I think they are new.

Best,
    James

Attachments:
    Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    As you can read in the screenshot that price is for the t2.medium instance (BTW, pay attention to the course and you’ll notice that Zaid got the exact same kali info as you, including a price). So, as mentioned before, make sure to follow the instructions as in the course and you’ll be able to get the free tier.

Greetings!
    Diego

Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego

Thank you for clearing up the Kali Linux cost and how it just relates to the t2 instance.

The section I circled in blue at the bottom of the screen clip that talks about how there is a subscription requirement to the AMI and potential charges is definitely not in Zaids Tutorial.

Regards,
    James

Attachments:
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

Here is the screen clip with the VNC running before I typed the ‘sudo ss -intp’ command.

I appreciate your assistance here.

Best wishes,
    James

Attachments:
    Jameswebsec
    Participant

Hi Diego,

This is weird, however, I’ve just opened up Remote Ripple, typed my details and got straight into the VNC. I’m wondering if Amazon had issues there side regarding the billing and temporarily locked me out. It is now working fine.

Thank you.

Regards,
    James

Diego PérezDiego Pérez

Hi!
    Glad you got it!
    Diego

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.